So Friday, having a need to go downtown (details after), I succumbed to acting like someone who likes Nashville and decided to take Jayson to enjoy some of its offerings. We started with the Main public library to see Wishing Chair Productions there present a puppet theatre version of "Cinderella", featuring original Tom Tichenor puppets from the 1950's. This is where being in a music oriented, talented city was fantastic. What a production!!! for FREE!!! Everyone (even without kids) needs to take advantage and go see these guys. I was going to post a clip to whet your appetite but my camera makes mov files and this doesn't accept them so I have to figure out how to convert them. Anyone know how? Here's a pic instead

We then walked by the Ryman Theater(a beautiful building) to the Sommet Center to turn in vouchers for FREE tickets to this Thursday's Predators hockey game (pre-season vs Atlanta Thrashers). Section 120- not too shabby for free. Anyone else want to do the same- print this and redeem by Wed 9/16 5 pm at Sommet center http://bit.ly/jewi5. First come, first serve on ticket seating.
We then walked by the Ryman Theater(a beautiful building) to the Sommet Center to turn in vouchers for FREE tickets to this Thursday's Predators hockey game (pre-season vs Atlanta Thrashers). Section 120- not too shabby for free. Anyone else want to do the same- print this and redeem by Wed 9/16 5 pm at Sommet center http://bit.ly/jewi5. First come, first serve on ticket seating.
While we were there, the visitors center had some singer/songwriters performing for FREE (catching the pattern here?), so we sat down and enjoyed them for about 30 min. Jayson was hungry then and I didn't want to run up my parking charge too much (library validates 1st hr free, not too much for add'l hour or two- cost me 1.50- ok, not everything was free today). Across from the Sommet is a little place called Wild Bill's Beignets and Bikes so I treated him to beignets stuffed with Granny Smith and the other banana, covered in choc syrup and powdered sugar. And I can't eat any of it (special restrictive diet I've changed to). They had some cool bike (motorcycle) decor in there-fancy hubcap glass tables, awesome real bikes over doors and on walls.
Back to the car and a short drive to the Farmers Market (free downtown parking), I found food I could eat at the Jamaicaway restaurant in there and then walked the produce aisles. Jayson was getting a little cranky and impatient as it was probably 3 and he hadn't napped so we walked over to the park across the street and found an ampitheatre where he got on stage and...
Then, I surprised him around the corner where the dancing fountains are and let him get wet in his jeans. I wanted to go in too but not so much to finish my day in soggy pants. I did get my toesies cool.
idn't care either way, but didn't see anything going on so I had figured they were done. But this time we went through, there were people standing around and a few cameramen right in the section I wanted to buy at. So what did I do- signed their release for Jayson and I in case we wound up in a scene and tried to find someone to pay for my squash (she had run off because she didn't want to be caught on camera). Finally getting my booty (yes, not free but great prices and stuff I can't get at Kroger), I take Jayson for his long-promised if you are patient and behave treat- a snowball from Fleur De Lis and hopefully miss the rest of the hubbub since I have one more thing I want to try to get from right where they were- farm fresh eggs. I guess it's some documentary she's doing because I didn't even see her (wasn't looking to) and the crews were just filming people shopping- "Look busy, people". I did take the poster offered up to Jayson from a production guy as a souvenir though.On our way home, there's a house on Smith Springs Road that has goats and a cow,
and sells veggies from a stand. They were outside for a change so we dropped in. Although I needed no more veggies, I was curious if they had goat's milk because I'm not able to have cow's milk right now. They said you can't sell it here, and if people do, they have to sell it as milk for other animals. Theirs are all male anyways. They let us pet them, and gave Jayson a tomato to feed to the cow, Oprah (she's big, black and sassy).
Arriving home at dark, we quickly had some dinner, unpacked and admired my bountiful harvest and got my guy to bed.
What an exciting, exhausting ending to a free fun Friday!
Sounds like a full and fun day! Thanks for the tip on the Preds tickets...we're gonna give it a try. How are the prices at the farmers market? Where can you park for free parking? Wasn't the Marionette show awesome?? Totally worth .75 parking. :) I can't wait for the next show to start (not sure what it is, but we'll be going).
ReplyDeleteWe went and saw the Cinderella puppet show 2 weeks ago and it was amazing!!! :D Glad you go to go do so much stuff!!!! It sounds like fun!
ReplyDeleteAlison- some of the produce was well priced, some pretty expensive or same as grocery store- but assumedly local grown stuff's gonna taste better. I got some good deals where the squashes were $1 a piece so for a huge spaghetti squash that was tons cheaper. Peppers were generally 2/$1, sweet potatoes were .75/lb, didn't look at other stuff that I have in my garden. Should be apples in a couple weeks. There were tons of beans- October, black-eye etc, fresh hulled for about 3.50/lb
ReplyDeleteI forget what the guy said the next marionette show was but it's changing in a few weeks, plus the legend of Sleepy Hollow(for older kids- I'll be going solo if any of you want to girlfriend date w/me on a Tue or Thurs)
Wow. It makes me miss Nashville. After going back for Kristen's wedding, I realized how beautiful Nashville really is. I can't believe how big Jayson is. The last time I saw him, he was a newborn. What a cute pic of you guys in the fountain.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a fabulous day! I wish I had read this earlier and had jumped on the Preds tix. We LOVE going to games!
ReplyDeleteWe love the Nashville farmers market. (free parking is right outside) I've found that if you chat people up they usually give you an even better deal than you're already getting. Plus, if you can brave the crowds and go on Saturdays, the Amish sell bread, pies, cookies, etc. YUM!
What a great Friday! I definitely need to take more pages out of your book my friend! I need a lesson from you on how to work those Preds vouchers - Tim would die for those! And the girls need to take advantage of all the fun library stuff. I'm with you, I've been here for 16 years and still have not availed myself of all this town has to offer.
ReplyDelete